- No accurate measure of the size of the LGBT population is available. Public Health England modelled estimate is 2.5%.
- Majority UK LGBT health research – lower quality ‘convenience samples’ and snowball sampling.
There are several papers that outline risk factors already experienced by UK LGBT+ implicated in COVID-19 risk. There are UK population papers on obesity, and two on smoking and alcohol and two on mental health. There is also a summary available on older age LGBT+ populations.
King M, Semlyen J, See Tai S, Killaspy H, Osborn D, Popelyuk D and Nazareth I (2008) A systematic review of mental disorder, suicide, and deliberate self harm in lesbian, gay and bisexual people. BMC Psychiatry 2008, 18(8):70 DOI: 10.1186/1471-244X-8-70
Semlyen J, Hagger-Johnson G, Varney J and King M (2016) Sexual orientation and symptoms of common mental disorder or low wellbeing: combined meta-analysis of 12 UK population health surveys. BMC Psychiatry 16(1), 1 DOI 10.1186/s12888-016-0767-z
Smoking and alcohol
Hagger-Johnson G, Taibjee R, Semlyen J, Fitchie I, Fish J, Meads C and Varney J (2013) Sexual orientation identity in relation to cigarette smoking and hazardous alcohol use at age 18/19: Cross-sectional associations from the Longitudinal Study of Young People in England (LSYPE). BMJ Open; 3(8). DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002810
Shabab, L, Brown, J, Hagger-Johnson, G, Michie, S, Semlyen, J, West, R, Meads, C (2017) Sexual orientation identity and tobacco and hazardous alcohol use: findings from a cross-sectional English population survey. BMJ Open 7(10), e015058.
Obesity and underweight
Semlyen J, Curtis, T and Varney, J (2019) Sexual orientation identity in relation to unhealthy Body Mass Index (BMI): Individual Participant Meta-Analysis of 93,429 individuals from 12 UK health surveys, Journal of Public Health, fdy224
Older age LGBT
Westwood, S, Willis, Paul, Fish, J, Hafford-Letchfield, T, Semlyen, J, King, A, Beach, B, Almack, K, Kneale, D, Toze, M, and Becares, L (2020) Older LGBT+ Health Inequalities in the United Kingdom: Setting a Research Agenda Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health
There are a number of existing reports offering good sumamries of the issues included here for reference.
- OutRight report
- Then there is the LBTI Caucus Statement
- Two statements by the LGBT Consortium – one on organisations and one on service delivery
- And a statement by BAGIS https://www.bagis.co.uk/covid-19-response
- Ambition for ageing statement on LGBTQ older people health inequalities
- LGBT Foundation statement